Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Don't Forget About Your "Old" Teachers!

It’s back to work for me, and I’ll be out of reach for a while as I get set up in my new home. As soon as I can I'll start posting my new lesson plans and teaching material. 

However, I wanted to leave you with one last thought before I leave. When I was 18 years old, I went to my former kindergarten teacher’s annual 4th of July party, and introduced her to one of my friends as “my old kindergarten teacher.” She snapped back, “I am not that old!”


In retrospect, I suppose former kindergarten teacher would have been a better choice of words. Anyway, it was always great to see her and she was always interested in hearing about what I was up to. Later on, I also called my former (not old) middle school art teacher to let her know that I had gone into teaching, and that she had been the biggest influence and source of inspiration in my academic and professional life.

Now that I am a teacher, and former students come back to see their “old” art teacher, I realize how important it is for teachers to know how our students evolve and progress. We love hearing from students and their post-class adventures out in the world. Please don’t ever hesitate to send an email, post card or even pay a visit to your former teachers. Summer vacation is a great time to write a letter. It will mean a lot to them, whether you are just saying hello, asking for advice, or thanking them for inspiring you. This is the stuff that keeps us going! In fact, if you are shy about it, tell them I forced you to do it.

I’ll be back ASAP with some lesson plans!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment